BARB'S FANTABULOUS BROWNIES
(updated January 2012)
For one 17 1/2 x 11 inch jelly roll pan, you will need:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 cup butter or coconut oil
1 cup STRONG coffee (you may add some instant coffee to your regular coffee)
2/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick butter or margarine or coconut oil
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup dark unsweetned cocoa
3 1/2 cups unsifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
chopped walnuts (optional)
As an optional variation, you can sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips over batter just before cooking.
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and sugar.
2. In heavy saucepan, combine butter, coffee and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
3. Pour boiling mixture over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla.
4. Mix well, using a wooden spoon or high speed with an electric mixer. Add baking soda, and blend well
5. Pour into a well buttered 17 1/2 x 11 inch jelly roll pan.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until brownies test done in the center.
7. While brownies bake, about half way through, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring.
8. Mix in the powdered sugar and vanilla until frosting is smooth.
9. Punch holes in brownies with a large fork and then pour warm frosting over brownies as soon as you take them out of the oven. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Cool. Cut into 48 bars.